Ketamine Biggest Breakthrough In Medicine – All You Need To Know About The Drug
One of the lastest and the most popular breakthroughs in treating depression is Ketamine. It is used frequently in operating rooms and emergency as pain relief and anesthesia. It is one of the essential medications on the list of the World Health Organisation. In a short period, ketamine use has grown as a treatment for various conditions.
https://mindpeaceclinic.com/ is the website of one of the leading ketamine treatment providers which provide ketamine infusion as the treatment for anxiety, PTSD, depression, and chronic pain syndrome. They are located in three locations in Virginia; Norfolk, Richmond, and Arlington.
Ketamine is being used as anesthetic from the 1970s and it is also approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration medication. It is also called ketaset, Ketalar or ketanest. It is a selective agonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NDMA) receptor, it has a very similar structure like that of phencyclidine.
Working Of Ketamine
Ketamine works as an effective antidepressant because of its multiple characteristics:
- It shields the anxiety causing NDMA receptors
- mTor molecule activation in body cells
- AMPA receptor interaction
- It enhances the production on glutamate with the release of G protein. It is because it stimulates additional production of dendritic spines
The production of nitric oxide is reduced due to ketamine and its interaction of the opioid receptors decrease the pain sensation. Some of the other effects which ketamine has on the body include:
- From time to time nausea and hardly vomiting, which depends on the dosage.
- Cardiovascular changes include increased blood pressure and heart rate.
- Bronchodilation; increased airflow in the lungs.
Uses Of Ketamine
The most common usage of ketamine is anesthesia and pain control. However, it is used in many more cases. It has also seen that in lower doses of ketamine can be successful for the treatment of mood disorder, depression, OCD and PTSD as well as anxieties and chronic pain syndrome.
There are studies which show that it can be used for the treatment of migraine. It is also good for the treatment of central sensitization syndrome, reflex simplex dystrophy, and fibromyalgia. There are also many types of research that it helps in connections to regrow between the brain cells that are involved in moods.
Side Effects Of Ketamine
Like all medications, ketamine also has side effects. Any recreational drug when used in high doses, usually people feel or have many symptoms which are commonly known as K-hole. It can happen when people are on the verge of becoming unconscious.
Other Side effects which might require medical attention include:
- Trouble in Peeing or need to pee often
- Blurry vision
- Discomfort or tightness or Chest pain
- Shortness of breath, trouble in breathing or not able to breath
- Problem in swallowing
- Dizziness, Faintness, lightheadness or fainting
- Hives, itching, rash
- Swollen or Puffy face, eyelids, tongue or lips
- Feeling too restless, excited or nervous
- Usual tiredness or weakness
- Pale or bluish lips, skin or fingernails
- Bloody or cloudy pee
- Slow heart rate
- Low appetite
- Pain at the injection site
- Increased salivation
- Air obstruction
It is also highly addictive or needs the dose to feel the effect.
Ketamine is one of the most potent drug when it comes to depression, anxiety, and many other chronic pain symptoms.